Sunday, May 10, 2009

I'm disappointed

I am disappointed. Yes it is about the alcohol vote. I was praying that it would not pass. But God also many times gave men over to their sins. He gave Isreal a king when they wanted one, even though they were never supposed to have one. That's just a quick off the top of my head example.

The reason for my disappointment though is even more than the propositions passing. Okay, so alcohol will be around. It already was. I don't want it at the grocery store. Let alone all the increase in crime and alcohol related crimes that the city and county WILL now see. I think it is wrong that a semi-govermental entity (Chamber of Commerce) forced this issue. But, they have the right to be greedy: We do live in America after all. I do think however, that a person under the legal drinking age should not have been allowed to vote for alcohol sales, perhaps I can get that amendment brought up to a senator or congressman.

What really disappoints men though it the vast number of Christians who supported this move. Does the Bible say "Do not drink"? No, it does not. Did Jesus drink wine? It is mentioned, although many biblical scholars say that the wine mentioned in scripture is not the same as what you buy at the liqour store...or I guess now the grocery store. This does include the wine Jesus made at the wedding. But that is another issue all together.
I am disappointed that in this day and age, the church in the "Bible Belt" refused to take a stand for morality. And the thing that saddens and disappoints me even more is that there will probably be people, even Christians, who will read this and say "What a non-issue!" "He must just be 'religious'!" "This guy is off his rocker. I be he drinks! What a hippocrite!"
Well, yes I do on occation drink. I am also over 21, and legally able to do so. I have never been drunk, or buzzed, and do not ever want to be. My occation for a drink tends to be maybe once or twice a year...if that.
I am dissapointed to read of the pastors and senior pastors who actually supported this measure. I'm sorry, but what happened to living a life "above reproach"? Yes, there are major issues the church needs to address, and many other social issues which are probably more important that alcohol. I must ask though, "Where do you draw the line at taking a stand?"

This simply shows me that what they found in 2000 had only become worse in the state of the church. In 2000, they found that less then half of SENIOR pastors in this nation held a Biblical worldview. And we see the results coming out in elections like this one today.

I fear that soon, unless something major in the church changes, you will see the church turn more and more into the world and to what the world offers. We already see churches the refuse to condemn homosexuality; churches in favor of legalizing drugs; churches who discuss the best way to weather the recession as the main sermon on sundays.
Where do we draw the line?

I have to say, "tolerance" will mean the death of Christianity in America. Christianity is not and cannot be a tolerant religion. We miss it when we are intolerant without the love of Christ (which is far too often the norm), but Christianity cannot be tolerant. I do not ever, anywhere in the Bible, see a tolerant gospel from God. Jesus did not live a tolerant life. Chrisitans are to follow His example, and that does mean we are to be intolerant of sin, but still show God's love. Easy to say but tough to do in practice, perhaps, but nonetheless, the example we are given.

I fear that we are seeing the death of the American church, or maybe we are just seeing echoes of something that died a long time ago...that is for God to decide, but the church in the country needs CPR desperately (that's Christ Perpetuated Revival). I pray that we can see a new generation rise up who are willing to stand for God regardless of the cost.
I fear that "dark and difficult times lie ahead", that "soon we must all choose between whet is right...and what is easy."

I pray that God will spare us in His mercy and we might see a true revival...it will be welcomed...at least by me and my house.

th

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Personally, I don't think I'm even for Lubbock being wet...my issue is however, choosing the battles.
And your question of where do you draw the line? I don't know exactly, quite honestly.

The Bible is clearly black and white on most issues. In which case we can be clearly black and white. Regarding alcohol- it's only black and white issue is to not abuse it. And to me- THAT'S where we take the stand.

I also agree about the fact that Tolerance is one of the most dangerous things we can fall into. But how does the world take us seriously in the bigger issues...when we're too busy fighing every tiny battle there is. And personally, I do think this was a small battle. As a daughter of an alcoholic, I promise that my childhood would have been no different because alcohol was 2 minutes away as opposed to 10.
AND- living in a very 'wet' state of CO, home of the breweries, alcohol is everywhere. And it's not an issue here like it is in the Bible Belt. People wouldn't think twice about seeing someone from their church having a beer with thier dinner. And our cities aren't the shady, trashy places people seem to think Lubock is about to turn into. So now that I've been on the outside, and seen new perspectives, I really truly don't get the alarm of this particular issue.

I also wonder (cause I'm constantly wondering about EVERYTHING) - how many of the YES votes was purely in retaliation of the churches screaming out about it? This vote has come up dozens of times in the past w/o this hoopla and it never went anywhere. I wonder if the outcome would have been any different if the churches had been less vocal to the public...and just more vocal to God. I don't know. But I will say, that as I've read people's statements on all the social networks...I'm very saddened and troubled that they see this as a victory against the judgemental church. What's our answer to that?